POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: What is a degenerate triangle? : Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle?
From: Spider
Date: 23 Mar 1999 19:32:26
Message: <36F83193.8091B4A5@bahnhof.se>
While we are on the(off the) topic of tirangles, patches and so on..
I'm working on a small landscape generator macro, and I'm not very satisfied
with the extreme high triangle count I'll need to make it visualised.

I have the points in a 2D array, each storing a height value(sorta like a
heightfield) I know all points are declared, so there are no such problems.

Yes, I guess I could use smooth_triangle, but i don't know where the normals
would be, since I only have height data.
I guess I could try and point all the normals UP, but that wouldn't be really
useful, would it?

I came to think of using patches, but then... I'd have to use a loop to split
the big grid into smaller pieces, and then use four as corners, and the rest as
control points, I know it'd be looking nice, but there would be a mess to set it
up for me.

Any tips/ideas ??
My current render has a triangle count of :
38416+355216 triangles....

--
//Spider
        [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]